Thursday, December 7, 2006

What's in a name?

My first Musings
I visited Uganda in January 2005. It was a fabulous time of exploration, adventure and self-discovery. The Kampalians (is there such a word?) are a vibrant and expressive people.
I blithely remember taking my International Driving Liscense, thinking that I would drive the team around Kampala. One look at the roads, or lack thereof, the mishmash of vehicles and the bohrabohra's (motorbikes used to transport people around the city), I knew that it would remain snugly packed away in my suitcase.

What's in a name?
My name is Rachel and the citizens of Kampala have a wonderful way of swapping their R's and L's around. So Rachel becomes Lachel and holy becomes hory - very, very funny! So for a whole 7 days my name was Lachel. At a humerous alteration, but after a few days a little irritating. I found myself wanting to correct the people as they spoke to me. I knew that I had to carefully consider whether it really mattered to me or not if I was Lachel or Rachel and was this battle I wanted to fight.
Now this may seem like a silly little musing, but interestingly enough most of my pondering focuses on silly thoughts and principles and alas there is no life changing formulae being derived or world class prose being constructed.

However, there is life being lived. I think that it is in the small considerations and discoveries that the true treasures are found. The fact is I grew to like being Lachel, it was a special name showing honour and delight in a friend and was spoken with such warmth that I knew that I was loved.
What special names have you been given or given others and how have these warmed your heart or the heart of those you love?

No comments: