Friday, December 8, 2006

Memory like an Elephant

My nephew Lance is a treasure in my life.

Today I was reminded on how important it is to mind your words and to keep the promises you have made. Lance is 6 years old and a light mention of doing a movie on Friday is something that I did not realise would not be easily forgotten.

Chatting to him on the phone this morning, I said goodbye mentioning that I would see him on Saturday. His immediate response was, "But Rach, don't you remember... you were seeing me today!"

Some quick back-peddling and apologies and we are going to 'Happy Feet' tonight. One thing I am realising is that too often we say things flippantly not realising the store others put on the words we speak.

This incident with Lance reminded me that we are to mind our words and speak carefully, keeping in mind the person on the receiving end.

No comments: